Sunday, December 30, 2007

Aaron's Testimony and Call

I was fortunate to be raised in a Christian home and part of an independent Baptist church. I was exposed to God’s word, great preaching and good examples throughout my childhood. In April of 1982, while I was a boy, an evangelist preached on Romans 3:18 … no fear of God before their eyes. That night I realized my sinful state and through repentance and faith received the gift of eternal life through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. In those early years of being saved I made many commitments to God that He is now calling on me to fulfill. In my teens I became slack in areas of my Christian walk and allowed peer influence and other temptations to lure me from the close communion He desires. In 2001, God began to chip away at my hardened heart. In October of that year I fell to my knees with a broken heart and finally surrendered my life fully to His will. It is a joy and privilege to serve our great Saviour.

Within a number of months I began started attending North Star Bible Institute where I graduated in May of 2007. During those years of school God placed the call on my life first to preaching, then more specifically to missions and the Philippines.

From a child I looked up to pastors and missionaries. I was taught to have a great respect for this most important work. I can recall telling God that I would go anywhere or do anything for Him. I told God that I would surrender to His will but at that time I was not willing to count the cost and stand by that commitment. Many years later, God, in His grace called me on that vow to Him. God worked in my heart through a missions conference in 2002 and subsequently began opening many doors of opportunity to teach, preach and be more involved in missions. A short term trip to Zambia in 2005 is when God confirmed in my heart the call to missions. I was sent later that year on a work trip to the Philippines where I was able to work with a missionary preaching and teaching in jails, schools and churches. God started to break my heart for those people and confirmed our calling there through a number of other circumstances. Since then He has sent me back to the Philippines on two more work/missions trips. It is humbling to think that the Lord would allow us to be entrusted with His gospel to take to the uttermost parts of the earth.

No comments: