Friday, March 14, 2008

Update - 3/15

It truly has been a blessing to be back in the Philippine Islands the last couple of weeks although at the cost of my wife having a doubled workload at home. If I could, I would send for my wife and my kids and just stay here now. There truly is so much to do. As I returned to Manila City jail for the first time since '05 the other day I was again amazed at all God has allowed me to see and be a part of in these four trips. As this is likely my last time coming over here for the company, it was a time of coming full circle in some ways. The morning after arriving in Manila the first time - in November of 05 - it was Bro. Jun Monderin that met me at the hotel and took me to Manila City Jail for the first time. I remember like yesterday the smell as we approached, the heat, the sanitation, the overpopulation, the details I was learning about the food alotment for the inmates etc. Nothing has changed in those areas except I find that this time around I see it, smell it and assess it so much differently then I did three years ago. Since then I have been in multiple jails and prisons both in the Philippines and in the states and God has consistently given me an added burden for declaring His glory to the filipino people. When I went in this time we held the meeting outside of dorm 10 - a female dorm that houses 300 women - in one room - with one toilet, which is right next to its one shower - the accommodations have not changed but ya know what has - the inmates! Praise God, it was awesome to preach to these women and hear them respond and watch their attention and reaction to the word of God. God has been working in this place in great ways. The Lord worked in many lives and we saw a number respond to the gospel! As I listened to Sister Joyce better explain the message in Tagalog (understanding practically nothing), I was encouraged to see the compassion and the burden that she and the other servants to the jails have.
We have had a great time with the jail ministry, at the church, on the street and just in fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters. I had the privilege of taking the prison ministry staff out to dinner where we shared testimonies, family moments and praises for what God is doing. Looking forward to going back to New Bilibid prison on Sunday before leaving on Monday.

While I desire greatly to get home to my family - it is also heartbreaking to leave this land and its immediate need. We praise God that He is bringing us back here for good and we acknowledge all that we need to learn and grow through while preparing for the field.
Thanks for all you prayers. Maraming Salamat Po.

Pray for the Philippines

No comments: