Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Update from Manila - Day 2

Greetings from Manila,
I wanted to praise the Lord for being so good to me over the past two days. I have had some great time of fellowship with my Brother Jun and his wife, been able to distribute a wealth of gospel tracts and bracelets on the streets and see God answer the prayers of His people. My last update spoke of my lost luggage. I spent alot of time on Monday making calls to the airline and airport to get status updates and understand when I would see it. At about 8:30 pm (an hour before work) I was informed that 2 bags were delivered! Only one drawback, one of the bags was not mine and that left the airline perplexed about the status of my bag as well as who this other bag belonged to. While I was incredibly grateful to see my clothes arrive, I was not surprised when the one bag that did not arrive was the very one that was filled to the brim with tracts, bracelets, NT's, John/Romans and Christmas ornaments with Scripture. Lest we forget, we have an enemy that would not have the truth of our God who saves by grace through faith to be disseminated in this city. Spritual warfare then became the theme of the day as my flesh crept up on me while dealing with the airport for the second straight day when I would rather have been sleeping. When I did get out, I had my first runin with the Pulis (police) over here about tracts/preaching. I have always been in clear view of the many guards and police around the mall, hotel district called Ortigas center as I pass tracts, witness and preach but this day I had an officer on a motorcycle tell me that it was forbidden for me to pass out anything or interrupt the daily lives of the passersby in this 20+ acre district. I was respectful in stating my past experience here and also that I am staying on the sidewalks and streets. He told me that the whole area was private property and therefore it was all off limits. I asked if he could verify this considering the city was doing work on the street and sidewalk less than 100 yards from where we were standing. I told him I was not selling or asking for anything but proclaiming the truth of God's word and I offered to let him review the material for himself :). He agreed to check with his superior and would get back to me, He drove around the block and then let me know that he hadnt heard anything. I politely inferred that I was going to continue until he could demonstrate to me how it was illegal since so many other officers have observed this before without saying a word. Praise the Lord - He agreed. I stayed there for a few more minutes and then moved on. It was great to see how God wrought the victory. Just a few hours later, just before returning to work Tuesday night (day for you), my other bag arrived with all the tracts etc! Glory!
Tomorrow Brother Jun and I will be going to the poorest of squatter areas in the city to minister to the kids, preach and try to be a blessing with the ornaments etc. Pray the Lord would offer discernment and boldness with compassion as we talk to these people. New Years day I will join Bro. Jun in New Bilbid Max security prison to preach again and see our brothers that God has saved within this population of nearly 30,000 inmates. I sincerely appreciate your continued prayer.
Lord bless,
Bro Aaron Putney

No comments: